Especially in the winter, I usually check half a dozen different weather forecasts before sending the week's newsletter on Monday afternoons. The week's temperatures and precipitation have a huge impact on what can get accomplished throughout the week, and what can be harvested. Not one forecast predicted snow for today. Even heavier snow now seems likely Wednesday night into Thursday. Temperatures don't look like they'll get warm enough to do much melting until late this weekend, and what little does melt will just re-freeze into a sheet of ice every night.
(Hooray!...return of the 600-foot ice-covered luge run to chicken yard while lugging water buckets...someone should turn that into an Olympic sport!!)
I've already had a number of cancelled orders for this week, and reports of nasty road conditions out there. For everyone's safety, and the fact that the snow's already deep enough I can't find the carrots or the driveway (and still falling), I am cancelling all pick-ups/deliveries/markets this week. Again.
For now, next week looks significantly warmer. I'm praying the weather forecasters are even halfway right, and that I haven't completely lost my marbles thanks to two solid weeks of cabin fever. I'll be back in business next week?
I also found a listing for a gorgeously green 500 acre farm in Costa Rica. If anyone has a cool $700,000 to spare, I'll ship all the coconuts and papayas you can eat to your doorstep in exchange ;)