Savory Sweet Potato Pie
- 3 lbs Sweet Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 1/4 tsp Orange Extract
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Eggs
- 1 lb Cooking Greens (I used Tuscan kale, any favorite cooking greens like Kale, Collards, Chard, or Tatsoi will work)
- 1 bunch Scallions, minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Ginger
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Pre-prepared 9" Pie Crust
- Peel and cook the sweet potatoes until very soft. Add 4 T. butter, orange extract, and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool, then add the eggs and mix well.
- Heat 4 T. butter in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the greens, scallions, garlic, and ginger. Saute until almost tender. Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the white wine, and stir continuously until all of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take half of the greens mixture, half of the potato mixture, and combine.
- Assemble your pie: Put the greens mixture in the bottom of the pie shell. Top with the half-and-half greens and potato mixture. Top it off with the remaining potato mixture.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the crust looks golden, and the potato topping is set.
Gluten-free version: Layer the greens & potato mixtures in reverse order into a buttered casserole dish. Top with a cornbread batter, and bake until done.
Cheese-lover's version: add a handful or two of goat cheese, feta crumbles, or blue cheese to the greens mixture.
Meat-lovers' version: Add scrambled sausage (sweet or spicy) to the greens mixture.